Friday, January 8, 2010

& it's happening again..

It's been over a year ago that I endured a strike. and guess what?!?! It might happen again. aaaggghh why does this happen to me?
In case you didn't know, on Nov 6 2008, York University's contract professors and graduate students' union went on strike - mostly for higher pay and for the security of their jobs. Fall 2008 was my last semester at work. I was anticipating to graduate from York by December 2008 and by January 2009, I would start a new program at Seneca. It didn't happen. Since the strike went on for more than 3 months, the fall term had to be extended to early February, making me miss my 1st semester at Seneca, thus delaying me a semester. I am supposed to be starting my 4th semester at York but nope, I was stuck entering Seneca during the summer and now I am 1 semester late.
And so it's happening again. College professors might go on strike - they say as early as Jan 18 (only the second week of the winter semester) but might delay it to February. If this happens, I'm friggin' screwed because:
1. it might delay a semester which might delay my graduation.. in which Rhea, Joo, and the fam were planning to go travel Asia upon my graduation. If it delays my semester, Rhea might not be able to go... and I won't be able to go with family because I'll be in school during the summer.
2. I might miss a whole lot of work. I remember at York, they had to condense the fall semester. We missed about 2 month's worth of work and only did 1. In graphic design, since it's a vigorous program, I'm basically stripped of my education because my learning process will not be so effective.
I emailed one of my profs to inquire about the strike and see what the chances are of having it. Unfortunately, the email website is down. arrrggghhh whyyyyy?!?!?!?!?

In the bright side, since I started school in the summer, I met such wonderful and inspiring people in my program in which if I started in January, it probably wouldn't be the same.

Even though I don't want this strike, I'm hoping - just a tiny bit - that they would go on strike for week - just because I want more of a vacations lol - and then go back to work. *cross fingers!

I'll keep you guys updated :S

1 comment: