Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Feature Artist: Rhea Singh

I was fortunate enough to meet Rhea Singh when I was in my second year at York University, studying Visual Arts. She was in my painting class - the one person who I thought knew how to mix all types of flesh tones (yes, I didn't know how to mix flesh tones when I was in a figure painting class lol). She helped me out sometimes... and was always kind of about it.
It was not until we found out that we were going through a very hard time in our lives (well, back then it seemed quite important) that our friendship really blossomed. Devastated that our ex-boyfriends left us for another girl, we were alone, heart broken and just wanted someone that knew what we were going through - we found eachother. Ever since then, we've been really good friends.
Not only do I know her as a personal friend, I know her as an artist - a painter, a multi visionary who tackles emotional, personal and social issues through her mediums. She comments on social and political issues that challenges the viewer to really think of what they're seeing. She captures the very essence of emotion and depicts it in such a graphic yet subtle way.
Her technique can only be defined by her. It is not like paintings you would find at the York University's painting studio where everything is polished and tradional. It is truly something from her, from her inner peace and something that you will find from her.
Here are some great examples (in my opinion) of her work:


graffiti


panning


contemplation


indecision

york noise
pencil, marker, acrylic on stonehenge


pin-up girl
commentary of little girls beauty pageants; Drawing in pencil, marker & acrylic paint on stonehenge/foamcore


soulja boy
reference child soldier

interpretation of 'De Stijl' (3'x3' Wooden frame & canvas)
"I fully constructed the fragmented frame and stand by myself.... and I hated every minute of it"
Some of her best best best works were not posted.

I would have to say, her last year and half at York were one of the best works I've seen. I've seen her develop from the mere visual arts student to the what she has become now.

She will be continuing her education in event management and hopes to persue a career with the United Nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment