Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Masters

One of my friend's status' today was "nervous/anxious/excited to start school next week!" She graduated from York last year and is now moving on a post graduate certificate in a college (i believe).
With this is mind, the thoughts of me getting my masters are currently emerging. To persue a higher level of education is what I think I want but not sure if I should go ahead and apply after my program at Seneca.
This morning, I was researching into master programs and here's what I found:

- Master of Design at York University
The Master of Design (MDes) program is a two-year, practice-based program that investigates cultural, social, cognitive, and technological dimensions of communication design, information design, interaction design, motion graphics and design studies within the parameters of Visual Communication/Graphic Design. It prepares graduates for careers as designers, design theorists/researchers and educators by engaging students in design practice, theory, methodology, research and management strategies.
The program provides strong supportive design studies courses which provide a foundation for doctoral studies in the rapidly developing areas of Design Research and Design Theory.
The program embraces intellectually curious students interested in experimental and investigative approach to design practice, theory and research in Visual Communication/Graphic Design.

- EMDes in Advertising at OCAD
The Executive Master of Design in Advertising (EMDes) degree is a unique, cutting-edge program available through the Ontario College of Art & Design. It is specially designed for advertising and marketing professionals who want to improve their thinking, advance their knowledge and become leaders in a rapidly changing industry. It is the only advertising executive master’s program that allows you to keep your job while you pursue an advanced degree.

- Interdisciplinary Masters in Art, Media & Design at OCAD
The Interdisciplinary Master’s in Art, Media and Design challenges students to investigate, research and produce creative works that combine art, design and cross-disciplinary academic study to create new, hybrid forms of visual and social research and production. Each student’s primary discipline and chosen emphasis between studio practice and theoretical inquiry will determine whether the degree earned is an MFA, MDes or MA.


I know, I know what you're thinking... "heck, just go find a job and stop going back to school..." and yes, I am very eager to go to work but i'm also eager of learning something more. I felt like my 4 years at York didn't do much for me... and even thought I just finished my first semester at Seneca, I feel as though the competition of earning a decent job after graduating is increased. Heck, I'm not even worried about getting a job... I just want to learn more... learn more on a higher level other people... and learn more about what i love to do....

I am considering of applying for the Interdisciplinary program at OCAD after when I graduate because I can fully utilize my honours fine arts degree and my advanced design diploma.

Please let me know what you think about this. Am I just going through a phase or do you think I should wake up and smell the coffee?

1 comment:

  1. i think this calls for a discussion over drinks.

    haha

    but you know how i feel about further schooling- unachievable if you are poor (as much as i pro-higher learning).

    ReplyDelete