Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Coco Chanel

*side note: I know that my page is pretty whack.. especially my font selection - first it's Georgia then times new roman. lol not to worry, I'm not oblivious to this. Hopefully once I get the time to do a new layout, it will be better.

Yesterday night, I finished watching a movie based on Coco Chanel. It was a very good movie! If you're interested in history and how Coco became to be in the fashion plus a side story of her love life, you'll like this movie. However, like any other biographical movies, not all information is accurate so beware. I took this movie in as entertainment only.
I didn't know a lot of about Coco and how she revolutionized fashion for women until I saw this movie. It makes me to appreciate Coco on a higher level than before. So here's a brief history (in point form) about her:
- her mother died when she was 6 years old; after her mother's death, her father abandoned her and left her in an orphange; years later, she later found out that her father had remarried and had other children
- during her time at the orphanage, she learned how to sew; when she was 18 years old, she left the orphanage and started working 11 hour days under a seamstress
- she met a leutenant, moved in with him in his chalet; she soon fell in love with his best friend
- after when her lover found out that she was having an affair, she moved to Paris to start her own hat shop with the help of her ex lover's best friend
- her hat shop became very successful; she soon opened a clothing line that didn't incorporate uncomfortable corsettes and heavy clothing; her motto was comfortable clothing for women by women, and not for the enjoyment of men; with her new clothing line, she started using more soft and comfortable fabric where women can dress themselves; with this, she developed the first "pant" for women
- she also developed her famous line of perfume. chanel no. 5; in addition, she invented the very first black dress

Coco Chanel has not only revolutionized the fashion world but also was the first to introduce women to gender rights and morals which we call today at feminism. Because of this, I do admire her. She was a business woman who did not have to rely on men for financial aid. She was independant, out spoken and intelligent - every thing that I think women should possess or learn to possess.

Enough of that

Yesterday night, I went to a class at goodlife called BodyCOMBAT. After falling in love with a class that incorporates weight training, BodyPUMP, I decided to check other classes to try to fall in love with cardio again. BodyCOMBAT is a cardio class that includes martial arts such as karate, tai chi, kick boxing etc etc. All I can say is, ouch! I'm aching all over the place now! I'm not sure if I like the class in its entirety but it is a good work out. If you don't like doing cardio like me, this is definately an alternative to consider.
There are different techniques of trying to lose weight. I think people say that the most effective way to lose weight is to do with a lot of cardio. Cardio is a good work out but it's really tedious and not fun at all. However, just running isn't going to cut it. I do believe that the most effective way to lose weight by doing cardio is to have your heart rate increase and decrease in a short amount of time. For instance, sprinting for 3 mins, jogging for 3 mins, sprinting and jogging. Yeah, I know, boring right? This class incorporates this technique. Not only are you doing kicks, punches and other things, you're actually having a lot of fun!
I can't wait until my cousin joins so we can enjoy and encourage eachother. It's always better to have a friend (or cousin!) to help you motivate! :)

MMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Today, the property managers of my building at work is having a free bbq for all tenants! yaaayyyy! Supposedly, they do this annually during the summer for 2 hours. There will a mini putt, volleyball court a batting cage, all free for this! lol
Today will be the most unproductive day for the building hahaha
I will twitter the events so look out for them! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment